Saturday, May 14, 2011

Dirty Fun...

A couple nights ago, DaNae and I headed out to dinner at the always wonderful Subway!  Let me back up, our stove decided to go suicidal and take us all with it while my wife screamed.  I got it calmed down and we gave it a break for a few days while we waited for a new element to arrive and revive the old beast. 

So without an oven and both of us feeling lazy, we loaded the smiling baby into the van and off we went.  Just a couple doors down from us a girl was running around the front lawn in her swimsuit while her little brother was picking up sticks or throwing rocks or whatever little a three year old do.  And the girl found the one spot in the yard that had a bare spot in it and was gathering mud from it too cover her legs, as if she were headed into the magical jungles of fairy land with her bright pink swimsuit and needed just a touch of camouflage. 

Moments before this I had seen her running around covered in mud and then when we drove by she was mostly clean except for the new mud she was coating her skin in and I knew that she was not venturing to the swamp lands of Unicornville but just getting dirty to get clean.  And it made me wonder why getting clean felt so good.  

I love getting clean.  I love taking a shower after working in a hot lab with smelly bugs or after working on the house or cars and breaking out the razor and getting the suds action going and removing hair, grime, grease, stink and the like.   I love to take all the stuff off the counter that has accumulated over the week and throw stuff away and organize.  I just wish it'd stay that way longer than a day!  

I wonder how often do I get dirty or let things around me get dirty just so I have the chance to clean them and feel good about it?  My wife is doing a bible study called 31 days to clean.  She started day 1 about a week ago, so I'm not sure where she's with it now.  But I wonder if everyone feels the same about getting clean, whether it be physically, spiritually, environmentally, or just mentally....

And how many times do you get dirty just to have fun getting clean?

No comments:

Post a Comment