Saturday, March 5, 2011

Failure...

I'm kind of amazed that it has taken me 30+ years to start overcome the fear of failure.  Some days it feels like the older I get the more I fail. 

About two years ago I started working with a man who was teaching me his trade so that he could have a backup at work when he went on vacation or was sick.  There was a procedure he was working on that he told me I wasn't allowed to work on because I hadn't failed enough.  Yeah, thats right, I hadn't had enough failure in the lab.  His theory is that you learn more from the failures than through the successes.

This year has been a new experiment for me.  Each month I try a new resolution.  Something that I've wanted to do but haven't for whatever reason.  I think the biggest failure of my life is setting goals and not following through.  I think one of the reasons I started this blog was so that I can state my goal and the reasoning behind it.  And then of course have some accountability.  The accountability hasn't helped much since I'm not sure anyone even reads this, but the blog has helped inspire me to write more, which was numero uno (maybe april's goal should be to learn spanish so that I know more of it rather than just the number one) on my list of goals for the year.  

I decided for march that I would count calories, but I did it a couple years ago and I did well for a while.  Then the long term habits crept in.  Now after four days of not even starting the counting, I'm wondering if I need to begin again more intelligently.  But how?  I know over the last few days I have cut out about 500 daily calories.  Just little snacks that I ate every day which I don't need to.  After 7 days, thats a pound.  If I keep it up, I'll be losing one pound a week.  I do want to run though. I'll see how that goes on monday.  I might need to find a running buddy, which seemed to be the only thing that helped me in the past.  March might be a bigger learning experience than I anticipated...

No comments:

Post a Comment