Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Some advice...(a.k.a. squirrelly lady!)

...supposedly good advice is hard to come by.  So does that mean that all the normal advice is bad or just not up to par?

I can make it through the entire day without anyone speaking to me (this isn't a good thing).  My wife on the other hand walks out the door and is greeted by all the neighbors.  

She took a jog this afternoon and met a lady down the street for the first time.  The lady then told her that we really need to get a cap for our chimney.  I asked DaNae if she or the lady brought it up.  She said the lady had just asked if we had a fireplace and since we did, she thought we really ought to get a chimney cap.  

The reason for her advice?  Squirrels!  Yep, her daughter or some near relation had a squirrel come down their chimney and out the glass doors on their fireplace and trash their house while on vacation.  Great timing squirrel.  

Then the lady herself had one that came down and died in her fireplace insert.  Wow, wonder if it was the same squirrel.   I'm not against chimney caps, but I don't know how a squirrel would get in the house with the flue closed, and if it died in there, I guess I'd have to dispose of a dead squirrel then.  I don't see why you need to spread such fear over such things.  People do that a lot.  Give you advice because once something bad happened to them.  I guess its okay to be informed, but if I heeded every bit of advice people gave me because something bad happened to them, well I would probably be broke and paranoid, maybe institutionalized.  

I talked to a guy who said that on two separate occasions he had a squirrel crawl down through the sewer gas pipe for his toilet and came into his house via the toilet.  Our homes were just not built to be squirrel proof....

1 comment:

  1. Interesting... I once had a wood pecker pecking at the "chimney" (its tin or something, not a trus Santa clause one), anyway, it was extremely loud, like radio on full blast loud and took me quite some time to figure out. Then once I did figure it out I had to go outside and try and scare the thing away! Ahhh good times.

    ReplyDelete