Friday, January 14, 2011

Forget fireproof...

I want to be explosion proof! 

So we have these freezers at work that say explosion proof on them.  There is one right next to me everyday while I fill up my water jugs at work.  And I have to say that I've never paid much attention to the sign. I just assumed that the fact that it was explosion proof meant that you couldn't use a bomb to open it up.  That was cool in my mind.  But the other day I was looking at it and realized that you wouldn't have to use explosives to take off the door because the hinges are exposed.  You can just take a wrench to it. 

So there had to be another reason for this proclamation.  Maybe it meant that if the building blew up, that it wouldn't blow up too.  But that thought is lame because if the building blew up and all the rubble fell on it, it would still get crushed, right?

Maybe it means that if an explosion happened inside of it, then it would be contained inside.  But why then does it say 'no smoking' and 'keep fire away' on the door?  Maybe its just trying to lull us into a fall sense of security before it really does explode. 

Dang, I think I just answered my own question.  The whole explosion proof thing just means that it won't spontaneously explode, like so many freezers before it....

No comments:

Post a Comment