Tuesday, January 4, 2011

who you calling addicted...

So I saw this:
 http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/04/shocker-media-addicts-suffer-withdrawal-symptoms-just-like-rea/

and realized I might have a problem.  There really is no 'might' about it actually.  I have a problem.  Now the question is do I go cold turkey or ween off of my media cravings.  To do what I want to do I have to give up something that comes far too easily.  Games and TV.  They have to go.  Slowly or quickly, its like a band-aid stuck to hair.  I think I should conduct a scientific study to determine which method of removing the band-aid is truly better.  It might just be personal preference.  I remember a few years ago I got inoculated for smallpox and had to keep a band-aid on the scab for a couple months and the whole section of my arm swelled up.  I had to rotate the band-aid each time I changed it so that it wasn't stuck to the same area of flesh as the one I had just pulled off.  Not fun at all, and honestly that's totally irrelevant to the matter at hand.

So what's my action plan?  I need to have an action plan and it has to be written down and I need accountability or else it will all go the way of the dodo or Milli Vanilli.

I'm just sitting here staring at the screen not wanting to commit, so I'd better just do it.  Here's my plan.  For the next 40 days, thats January 5 through February 13th, I will not consume any media (internet, games, tv...exceptions being audio, gotta have some tunes, and my blog since it doesn't hinder my wanting to write) before 5pm.  Morning, lunch, after work, the whole shebang.  And no watching the tube during dinner.

There it is!  The challenge has been made! It'll be a battle of the flesh vs. the will.  a duel to the end.  hopefully the will succeeds because thats my name and I like congratulating myself on a job well done!  

I'll keep you all posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment