Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Creative differences...or a bill by any other name...

In my short life span I have managed to collect numerous nicknames.  I'm not sure if its because 'Bill' is mundane, or maybe I'm just mundane enough that people feel the need to spice something about me up.  Either way, I've been called billy (my least favorite), tacoBill, illBill, 34, Chuckles, billy whiteshoes, bill sixtoes, Orville, billiam, DB, and I'll leave out the 'bad names' out.  Well this week I've been called by 3 more.  Three in one week.  Well, two of them are actually the synonymous with each other and the other is actually my favorite in quite sometime.  All three are for the same reason...water!

For those who don't know, since they moved my lab to Manhattan, there is no deionized water in my lab to fill the water pans for the insects.  So I have to push a bunch of jugs across the parking lot to fill up in the main building and push them back to the lab once their full on a daily basis, to keep my bugs biting.

So the obvious nickname is Waterboy!  Yeah, a guy called me that a couple days ago and I was underwhelmed with his creativity.  He wasn't the first person here to call me that, but it has been sometime since anyone else has (I have been doing this for 7+months).  Then he wasn't satisfied with Waterboy, so he moved on to calling me Bobby Boucher.  Thank you sir for finding one of the dumbest fiction characters out there and refering me to him.  I appreciate that.  He did hold the door while I pushed my cart through it and I almost said "Thanks Drew Carrey!"  He did have a vague resemblance, but I wasn't sure if he would take it as a complement or not, and I didn't want to deal with it, so I walked on and said nothing.

Then today, as I pushed the cart down the hallway, another guy came up behind me and said "we should call you pipeline!"  After fuming for a couples days at the stupidity of the first guy I was actually intrigued but the name Pipeline.  It sounds like a super hero, or G. I. Joe character.  And well, that more than makes up for the whole Boucher debacle.  Maybe the name will spread through the center and I'll get a reputation.

Watch people, here comes Pipeline!!  hehe

1 comment: